Saturday 21 November 2020

Going through changes - A Scribble

I start with reminding you that I am not an English or French speaking person. These two languages are popular languages spoken by, we can say, the majority of planet Earth population. Either the true or the pidgins or the slang.
Let me speak about French language first.
I was attracted to this language since I was five years old, when my father was assigned as a diplomat in an African francophone country, Algeria, but I was not a bright pupil. French simply slipped out of my mind and memory like drops of water fall on a calladium leaf. So bad!
Now comes the English language. My youngest aunt who was a high-school student, when I was back home from Africa, spoke about this language and mentioned words like " ladies and gentlemen " or " master of ceremony " .
They were amazing words to my ears. So when I started attending high-school, I focused my mind on that subject.
Great! I progressed quite rapidly. One time there was an opportunity, I was appointed to be a "master of ceremony" and I had to speak in English. Each introduction to a performance always started with "ladies and gentlemen". Very respective way of addressing, indeed. Even at home, whenever my father had to call his guests' attentions, he would call "ladies and gentlemen". It was about thirty years or a bit more ago.
Now, in the early third millennium,  English terms are starting to change. Is it going towards the better??? Because, to my awe, I hardly hear "ladies and gentlemen" anymore, but often "guys". As a non-English person who learned what I had learned, this is turning my mind around. 😣

No comments:

Post a Comment